|Name||John Edward Payne, aka Pain, (male)|
|Birth Details||Date & Place||June 1832, Compton Bishop, Somerset|
|Baptism||4 December 1832, Compton Bishop, Somerset (1)|
|Father||George Gould Payne, 1797, Axbridge|
|Mother||Ann Andrews, 1792, Compton Bishop|
|Death Details||Date & Place||14 October 1895, Richmond, Melbourne, Victoria|
|Cause of Death||Unknown|
|Age at Death||63 years|
|Marriage Details||Date & Place||
|Children||With Margaret Farr
|Occupation||Initially Agricultural Labourer in Somerset and for Mr. Henty in Portland Victoria. He also classified himself as a groom. At one time he managed his brother's hotel, The Bridge Inn, in Woodstock, Victoria. He also farmed in Merang South, Victoria and later in Medland Western Australia.|
|Residence||Compton Bishop, Somerset, Portland Victoria, Woodstock area outside Melbourne, Maylands, Western Australia and then back to Melbourne.|
|Religion||Church of England|
It is said the Mr. Henty, who owned large tracts of land in the Portland area, paid John's passage out to Australia. Though, researchers will find John listed as an Assisted Immigrant on the Public Records Office of Victoria website (3). However, looking at the actual passenger manifests shows that the Priam went to Portland not Port Phillip. Portland historians also say that Mr. Henty did not contract with immigrants prior to their arrival but met the ships as they came in.
John migrated on the Priam in 1853 with his sister RoseAnn
and her husband James Templar
and 3 of their 3 sons. John was 19 at the time. The following is
an excerpt from First
Families @ Beerik, Bruk Bruk,
This excert explains why & how John moved from the Portland area where he arrived and worked for Mr. Henty. It is probable that Mr. Henty asked him to move from one part of "Muntham Station" to another.
John was illiterate as only his mark appears on his marriage certificate.
John purchased Crown Portion 16, Allotment C, Part 1 Morang South outside Melbourne. He later sold this to a Mr. Cotchin after whom his son Joseph was named. John operated 2 hotels in the Woodstock area, The Bridge Inn, Mernda and the Sir Henry Barkley which was previously owned by the Whitty Family. Interestingly, these Whittys are related to close friends of this site's webmaster, Claire Hughes. What a small world it is!!
The house below, Preston Hall, was located on the Plenty Road, Merrinda, opposite the Catholic Church. It was owned by John before 29 December 1865 when it was sold to Michael cLaughlin. It is a bluestone house with drystone walls and quarries. Would it be nice if the people in the foreground were John and his family??
© Claire M. Hughes 2006, genealogy research Claire Hughes & Debby Dolgner-De L'Eyre, website assistance Lindsay Brown